No need to blush fellas, erectile dysfunction (ED) is very common among men.. so common in fact that statistics show that about 50% of men experience this.. that’s 1 in 2 boys! Well, thanks to the pharmaceutical bandaids, there’s Viagra.. the magical pill to keep ‘er up. Aside from the fact that the “making” of Viagra was actually a mistake, a few side effects include: redness of the face, neck or chest, headache, upset stomach, back pain, urinary tract infection, diarrhea, rash, respiratory tract infection or flu-like syndromes, chest pain, nausea, sweating, heartbeat irregularities, swelling of the hands, ankles or feet, and shortness of breath (to name a few). 2 words…libido killer.
Let’s hit the nail on the head and figure out what could actually be causing the issue…
- Stress/Anxiety: it’s time to ease up… literally. Although you may think you’re able to juggle four flaming torches while balancing on a beach ball, your friend below the belt may be telling you otherwise. The sympathetic nervous system mediates sexual arousal as your parasympathetic nervous system primarily counters the sympathetic by mediating the body’s calm and vegetative functions. During significant stress, one of two things may occur. You can either become too anxious to establish enough parasympathetic input to the penis to get the erection in the first place OR you’ve managed to get an erection but then became anxious about something and have now shifted from calm, vegetative parasympathetic to adrenaline-surge sympathetic. Things have gone too fast, and you have a loss of erection. Drr.
- Alcohol: this is a no brainer…whiskey anyone?
- Tobacco: to name a few.. it impacts the ability of the heart to pump the blood needed to achieve and maintain an erection by slowing the flow of blood to the penis, creates fat deposits in your blood vessels, contains carbon monoxide which deprives the muscles, brain and soft tissue of oxygen (good luck with stamina).. and the list goes on.
- Certain medications: some include: Statin lowering drugs, antihistamines, anti-depressants, high blood pressure pills and heart medications
- Metabolic syndrome: involves increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
- Lack of exercise: I’m not telling you to start training for a marathon..BUT exercise (of any kind) will enhance your mood, build your confidence and increase blood circulation.
- Poor diet: your diet should be rich in vitamins and minerals which will support a healthy body…including ALL parts of the body.. none of this SAD (Standard American Diet) B.S.
- No play, no game: okay.. so you can take this in a couple of ways.. the first is obvious but the second is over looked. Try increasing your intimacy by doing things together…who woulda guessed.
- Hormonal: face the facts, hormonal issues don’t just mean PMS in woman! Hormones such as adrenocorticotropic hormone, prolactin, oxytocin and testosterone, have known to effect your sex drive. The cause of a hormonal balance may include many of the points already discussed above.
- CVD: as previously mentioned CVD (cardiovascular disease) may be an issue of concern as it decreases blood flow to achieve an erection. Get checked!
– Quit or decrease your smoking habit
– Eat a clean diet